EmilySavant

EmilySavant

The Catcher in the Rye

The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger Maybe it’s because I am not a 16 year old boy, but I really don’t see the hype for The Catcher in the Rye.

First off, Holden talks in circles. He constantly repeats things.
Yeah, I get it. You smoke too much so you run out of breathe faster. I think I caught that the first 7 times you mentioned it, Holden.

The overuse of words like “crumby”, and “phony” drove me up the damn wall. Holden calls people who pretend to like this and that phony. People who “fake” their way through situations. Yeah Holden, you do the same thing. I believe you called it “bullshitting” though.

He is really one of those people who hate something just because everyone else likes it. (Hipster alert!) I think his sister even mentioned that around page 169 or so. He hates everything. He likes nobody.

Now his sister, Phoebe, I really liked. I enjoyed the relationship between Holden and her. It was sweet and some of the only times that I felt really connected to the story.

Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t hate it. I liked it here and there, but I really wish I could have saw the “masterpiece” that some other people have seen in this book.